Through legislative advocacy and the support of hunting as a sustainable conservation practice, Minnesota SCI is dedicated to perpetuating and protecting your hunting heritage and the rights of ALL hunters.
Don't Miss the 2013 Minnesota SCI Rifle Shoot
The 2013 Annual Minnesota SCI Rifle Shoot will be held at the Northstar Rifle Club just outside of Redwing, MN on Saturday, May 18nd starting at 10:00 AM. This is a great opportunity to experience one of the best rifle ranges in Minnesota! We would like to invite all of our members and their families to participate. This is an informal competition where the emphasis is on having fun spending time with fellow members over high scores. We focus on shooting from actual hunting positions and encourage shooters to use their normal big-game hunting rifles for the centerfire portion of the course.
We shoot paper targets that have the images of game animals on them at ranges of 50 to 300 yards. The courses are as follows:
- 50 yards – It must be shot with a rimfire rifle (.17 or .22 Cal) offhand either standing or kneeling. (Total: 10 shots rimfire)
- 100 yards – This course must be fired standing offhand or standing using shooting sticks. 5 rounds (Total: 5 rounds centerfire)
- 200 yards – This course has three separate courses of fire; 5 rounds at a stationary target from a standing position, 5 rounds at a stationary target from a prone position using a bipod or backpack as a rest, and 5 rounds at a moving target. (Total: 15 rounds centerfire)
- 300 yards - This course may be fired from a prone position, using a bi-pod, backpack, or other item as a rest. 5 rounds at a stationary target animal, 5 rounds at a moving target, and 5 shots at a 2 inch bullseye (Total: 15 rounds centerfire)
- Cape Buffalo Challenge – (5 rounds centerfire, big-bore encouraged!)
Each target has two defined vital zones. Scoring is as follows:
- Center Vital Zone – 10 points
- Outer Vital Zone – 8 points
- In the body of the animal outside of the vital zone – 3 points
After the shoot is over, we will have a barbeque and brief awards ceremony as well as drawings for prizes. Trophies will be given for the overall winner of each leg as well as for the overall winner. Please contact Kevin Erickson at (952) 292-2704 if you have any questions. You may sign up on our website or by contacting Monique at (952) 693-1461. Cost: $35/per shooter. Includes all range costs, lunch and beverages.
- Centerfire Rifle with 40 rounds of Ammunition
- Rimfire Rifle and 10 rounds of Ammunition
- Hearing Protection
- Shooting Sticks (Optional)
- Backpack to shoot over or bipod
- Blanket/pad for shooting prone
- Mosquito/Tick repellent
From the north, go south on HWY 61 go down the hill towards the Cannon River. Green Springs Trail is the last right before the Cannon River Bridge (if you get to the bridge you've gone too far). Turn right on Green Springs Trail, follow it to the end and your at the range.
From the south, go north from Red Wing on HWY 61, cross the Cannon River bridge. Green Springs Trail is the first left once you cross the bridge. Turn left on Green Springs Trail and follow it to the range.